Thursday, January 6, 2011

Final Post

With sociology class slowing coming to an end, I rewind myself to the first day in class. I walked through the door not knowing much, if anything about sociology. Now, I have a much better understanding of the society I live in and how its shaped by all of the different influences that people have made. With all of the activities and the community service I did, it opened my eyes to the reality of the influences. Today, I went to St. Mary of Vernon for p.a.d.s. The first community service I did was at Habit building a house. I felt good for helping out but it was not anything special. I'm really glad that I went to p.a.d.s and helped the homeless today. I was surprised at how they look so much like any other home-owning person. This service opportunity was much better because I was surrounded by homeless people and saw it with my own eyes. I now see the world/people in a diffrent way. Before I was not aware of all the sociological influences around me but now I think with a sociological imagination. Unlike other classes I take, this class taught me things that I use in daily life and how to be overall a better person. Thanks for the great class Sal!

3 comments:

  1. I agree that we are shaped by our society. I liked your personal connections from volunteering to sociology!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad that sociology gave you a different and more eye-opening perspective on the world. So many people go through life totally oblivious to the world around them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are welcome, Pat, thanks for being a part of it all.

    ReplyDelete